The "original" Victorian-style Cliff House, built by Adolph Sutro and opened in January 1896 (and destroyed by fire in 1907) was actually the third structure built on the site. The second of these was partially destroyed by an explosion of dyanamite on a ship drifting below. In 1909 the second "new" Cliff House was opened, having been built by Adolph Sutro’s daughter. Various remodels in the 1940s and 1950s reflected the styles of those decades, and the present-day Cliff House was reconstructed in 2003 to resemble the 1909 neo-classical version.
from: Firestorm – The Bombing of Dresden, 1945; Addison and Crang; 2006; Pimlico.
The Frauenkirche was rebuilt … and this work was completed in 2005, completely financed with donations.
See all the darker stones on the church? Those are stones that were recovered after the war. When the church was reconstructed, those bricks were put in their prior positions. The darker stones aren’t dark just because they were burned, but also because that is the way this type of stone ages.
The cool thing is that maybe in 400 years or something, this whole church will be black. Think of it as a healing wound, rather than a scar.
Aachen, Dom, kolorierte Fotografie, ca. 1900, Aachen, Germany
Act III of Giuseppe Verdi’s Ernani is set in the tomb of Charlemagne.
Title: Cologne. Rathaus
Architect: Wilhelm Vernuiken
Architect: Julius Carl Raschdorff (German, 1823-1914)
Rathaus porch date: 1569-1573
Tower date: 1407-1414
Photograph date: ca. 1870-ca. 1885
Restoration date: 1860-1870
Location: Europe: Germany; Cologne
Materials: albumen print
Image: 19.4094 x 15.3543 in.; 49.3 x 39 cm
Provenance: Gift of Andrew Dickson White